Super Crispy Onion Rings Recipe
These home made onion rings are a fantastic alternative to the boring old potato chip, with a crunch that will have you begging for more!
This recipe for Super Crispy Onion Rings serves 8 people.
Time required: 40 minutes
(10 minutes to prepare, then cook for 30 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper, or other spices
- 3 cups of bread crumbs
- 2 whole onions, brown
- 2 pinches of salt
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 2 cups of olive oil, for shallow frying
- 2 tbsp instant mashed potato
- 1 can lemonade, we used Sprite
How to make Super Crispy Onion Rings:
- Add flour, instant mashed potato, and spices of your choice (such as cayenne pepper) into a large mixing bowl, and mix together.
- Slowly pour in the lemonade, and slowly stir the mixture. Add more lemonade if the batter gets too thick. You will find lots of bubbles appear at first, but the will disappear as you continue to stir the mixture.
- Put your breadcrumbs into a separate bowl.
- Chop your onions into 5mm widths, and separate the rings.
- Grab a handful of raw onion rings, and pop them into the batter. Ensure each ring gets a good coating of the batter.
- Heat up a saucepan and pour the oil in. You will want the oil hot so when you pop the onion rings in, the batter immediately crisps up.
- Put a couple of onion rings into the breadcrumbs, and ensure a good coating. Then pop the onion rings into the pan to shallow fry.
- Leave them in there for about 1 minute, then flip it with a fork and leave for another minute. Once done, take it out, and let drain on a paper towel.
- Then repeat steps 5 to 8 until you've got enough onion rings to satisfy your cravings! Enjoy.
Absolutely lovely with some Hungry Jacks Spicy Sauce